Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Summer's Foods

I was going through my phone and saw a theme in some photos I've taken recently. I thought I would share.

Food photos. Summer food photos.

 photo IMG_2097_zpsabd65ff2.jpg
I'd just picked a gallon of blueberries from Mom and Dad's bush. I went inside and spread the berries out on a cookie sheet to sort. I think I probably ate half of what was on that sheet! Blueberries fresh from the bush are so good!

Going "home" always mean we will have fried catfish at some point in time. Dad is usually the fish fryer while Mom takes care of the coleslaw and hushpuppies.
 photo IMG_2099_zps040f3cb3.jpg
Sometimes, Dad gets to brag that "These fish slept in the river last night!"

I came home with two 5-gallon buckets of fresh corn from their garden. I put half of it away on the cob and half of it away as cream corn. That'll be yummy this winter when there is no fresh produce in sight!
 photo IMG_2164_zps517b7be6.jpg

And finally, last night's dinner was country ribs with side of corn and Brussels Sprouts. I found a dry rub recipe on Pinterest: Memphis Style Country Ribs. I seared the meat in my grill pan, then finished it off in the oven. So yummy!
 photo IMG_2180_zpsa6a86830.jpg
Between the seasoning on the ribs and the cracked pepper on my corn-on-the-cob, my lips tingled for hours last night!

2 comments:

  1. You know something I wondered about recently? How do you make a hushpuppy? Someone mentioned Druther's and hushpuppies (do you remember that restaurant?) and it got me to thinking about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made them in the past or helped Mom. It's just cornmeal, with a little bit of flour and some chopped onion. Drop by spoonfuls into hot oil until they flip/turn when browned.

      I don't know if I've heard of Druther's or not.

      Delete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!