Wednesday, November 20, 2013

I painted another light fixture

Apparently, I'm not afraid of painting anything these days. :D

After repainting the kitchen and playing around in there (still trying to work out the curtain situation for framing the windows),
I couldn't focus on the new prettiness of the room without my eye falling on the brass light fixture with the square tulip looking globes.
 photo diyIMG_1092_zpscceccb7d.jpg
It wasn't too ugly. It wasn't broken. It wasn't dysfunctional. But, more importantly, it wasn't MY style!
It was too shiny. Too bright. Too brass. Too gold toned.

I like things that have more of an old feel to them. I have looked for a replacement, but haven't had much luck.
I was in Lowes again the other day and my mind reminded me of the globes that I originally looked at when we were
replacing the light fixture in the master bathroom. We went with a different light, so I didn't need the globes for that project.
I decided to buy the globes last week, bring them home and see what they'd look like on the lamp.

Sorry for the blurry pic. Aren't they cool? See if this link works to the product at Lowes. Globe
 photo diyIMG_1097_zps7dedbc19.jpg
The globes have an old feel about them to me. And they are different. I love the cut glass pattern and their shape.

After I brought them home, that was it. The decision was made to makeover the lamp. I went to get my can of Kilz and a paintbrush, then got to work!
I primed the fixture, then used a combination of spray paint (sprayed into the lid of the can) and craft paint to create the old pantina.
Again, just like the dining room light, I did all of this painting with it in place hanging from the ceiling.

 photo diyIMG_1152_zps78e0ffeb.jpg
 photo diyIMG_1148_zps9c6dfc52.jpg
 photo diyIMG_1150_zpse32c5d30.jpg
I love it!

Once again, I look at the before and after pictures and question that it's the same light fixture!
 photo diyIMG_1092_zpscceccb7d.jpg
 photo diyIMG_1150_zpse32c5d30.jpg


2 comments:

  1. I think it looks much better! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good!! I can't believe you manage this while it's hanging from the ceiling. How do you get the cord/chain?!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!