Monday, November 25, 2013

Brussels Sprouts

The first time I ever heard of Brussels Sprouts was when I was a young teenager. I grew up out in the country on a gravel road which was eventually paved by the county. The road was half a mile long and had three houses on it. Our house was in the middle. The first house was my uncle's. The last house was my mom's cousin's. We used to go for walks up and down the gravel road. I remember walking by my uncle's garden one day and he called out and asked if I wanted any Brussels Sprouts. Um, no. I'd never heard of them, but with a name like that, they couldn't be good. Right?

Fast forward twenty something years and Brussels Sprouts have become one of my favorite things! I'm kind of glad I said no that day because I'm pretty sure Mom would have boiled them and I would have hated them and sworn them off forever!

Instead, the world wide web, as it has introduced me to a lot of things, (Some good. Some bad.) introduced me to Brussels Sprouts. Washed. Cut in half. Seasoned with olive oil and a good sprinkling of salt and pepper. Then, roasted in the oven at 400 degrees until they are just beginning to brown. Their bitterness is gone at this point and they almost melt in your mouth.
 photo foodIMG_1174_zpsafcc787b.jpg
Now, with my family of four, only two of us appreciate Brussels Sprouts. G-Dub and Teen will eat them, but they don't just love them. Roo and I LOVE them! He was home not feeling well from school on Friday and this was our lunch! LOL Well, he had some chicken broth and noodles, but I just ate Brussels Sprouts. ;)

Is there anything you thought you'd never eat, much less love, but have since changed your mind?

1 comment:

  1. Tomatoes. As a kid I didn't like them at all. Now I look forward to tomato season. One thing I don't think I will ever learn to like is broccoli. It's not so much the taste, but the texture that bugs me.

    I remember reading a blurb about how your taste buds actually change as you get older which is why our list of things we will eat gets bigger. I thought it was interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!