Wednesday, October 9, 2013

So long, farewell, you will not be missed

I have several little projects going on right now that I said last week I was going to finish before I started anything new. Then, Sunday night as I was walking through the kitchen, I looked up at the border and a thought went through my head.

"I wonder how hard that would be to take off and if the wall is in good shape behind it."

I reached up to the border and peeled back a piece. Easy peasy..... it was all good. I proceeded to pull more of the border off until I had it all gone. I then cleaned the wall behind it to remove the glue stickiness. I should have gone to bed at that point.
But, I have mouse/cookie syndrome. If you give a mouse a cookie, you know what'll happen, right? Well, if I get a really good nap on Sunday afternoon then an urge to peel wallpaper late Sunday evening, I stay up entirely too late peeling wallpaper off the walls.
Yep, I went to bed at 1:40 with most of this wall clear except for the paper from the wallpaper. I usually just pull off the vinyl top part, exposing the paper part underneath, then just spray that with water and peel it, then clean the wall. No fancy wallpaper remover chemicals or scoring tools for me so far.

The amazing thing to me was that underneath that bottom wallpaper was gray paint. Gray paint? I didn't get it.
I didn't get it at first, but then Monday night when I was working on the last section of the wall, I got it. I had taken the outlet cover off and was working around it. I noticed this ugly little piece of wallpaper that was different from what I'd been working to pull away from the wall.
I grabbed that little piece and pulled. BAD, BAD, idea. :( Instead of pulling on TOP of the gray, it pulled away from under it exposing the original sheetrock.
I worked for an hour on that section of the wall trying to get the gray off and the wall even. The whole time I kept trying to figure out the gray paint and why they had painted the gray paint over the other wallpaper only to put new wallpaper on the wall. Huh???? Then, it dawned on me. I am thinking someone probably told them they should prime the walls before putting up the new wallpaper and by prime, they went with the standard gray primer that most people might think of instead of Kilz or something I think would be meant for walls. Real. Gray primer. Weird.

Despite the fact that it is going to really bug me to have that one layer of wallpaper underneath my new paint, I'm not about to tackle that long wall in the third photo. You can't see seams in it and it is pretty smooth, so I'm just going to paint over it.

But, I don't know if I'm amused or aggravated about the gray primer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!