Sunday, September 8, 2013

Milestone - 100 Days Since My Last Dr. Pepper

 photo 100dayssincedrpepper_zps4f3f1dd0.jpg

Any of you who know me well know that I have an addiction problem. I have been addicted to Dr. Pepper for years. Years. Can't even put a number on the years, it's been that long. I used to be a sole Sprite drinker, then the Dr. won my heart.

Also, if you've known me for very long, you've heard me say a million times that I am going to quit Dr. Pepper. I swear it's a good thing I don't have worse habits because breaking the soda habit is HARD. Hard!

I've tried in the past and have always gone back. In March, I went for the longest in a while - twenty eight days without a sip of soda. April was disastrous. The fall off the wagon was hard and syrupy at the same time.

When the end of May rolled around, I decided to recommit to quitting. I decided I'd quit and say the last one I had was in New Jersey. Then, after I moved, I'd have one. Well, we moved on June 15 and I had made it beyond that hard two weeks. I decided to go for thirty days. I plugged in May 31 as my last day on my phone app which is actually a countdown TO a date, but will also count days since. Seeing that number grow on that phone app has really helped me! After seeing thirty days, I decided to go for sixty. Then I decided I should go for another thirty, but ninety was so close to 100... I set my goal for 100 days. Today marks the 100th day without the Dr. in my life or any form of soda for that matter. One day a month ago, we were out to eat at a local BBQ place and I got sweet tea in my Styrofoam cup. I accidentally picked up Roo's which had DP in it, but that was only a small sip which tasted horrible because I was expecting tea and because I hadn't had any DP in so long. I wasn't tempted to have more which was good.

I won't say I've been saintly in the drink choices though. As I just mentioned, I have had a few sweet teas since moving back to the south. I've also dropped by the Starbucks in Target for an occasional Chai Tea latte. BUT, in the grand scheme of things, 100 days without a Dr. Pepper is BIG news for me! I'm not setting a new thirty day or X number of days goal. I'm just going to continue to watch the number grow on my "Since" countdown. I dreamed the other night that on day 68, I caved and drank one. I was so mad at myself, then so relieved it was just a dream! Maybe I'm on the road to quitting for the long haul!

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy that I have never acquired a taste for sweet drinks. I feel for you. Breaking any habit is tough. I do think people actually become addicted to the caffeine in soft drinks.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!