Sunday, July 28, 2013

Homemade pickle relish

I've hated buying it in the store because of High Fructose Corn Syrup, so wished for another option.

Option #1 - make my own! ☑
 photo photo-14n_zpsa7607b10.jpg
Don't look too closely at how unevenly I chopped everything. I wasn't too worried about consistency in chopping as much as I was worried about consistency in texture. One extra long push on the Ninja button sometimes leads to pulp instead of chop!

I looked at recipes online and in the Ball Canning Cookbook then adapted them all to make my own.

Sweet Pickle Relish:

2 quart chopped cucumbers
3 cups chopped onions
2 cup chopped sweet green pepper
2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
1/2 cup canning salt
3 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
2 tablespoon celery seed
2 tablespoon mustard seed
4 cups white vinegar (I was going to use apple cider vinegar, but only had white on hand.)

Chop cucumbers, onions and peppers, then combine in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water. Let stand a few hours. The salt and water will draw out even more water from the cucumbers. Drain. Rinse. Repeat until the mixture is thoroughly drained. Combine sugar, spices and vinegar in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Add drained cuke mixture. Simmer for around 10 minutes. Pack hot relish into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water. Some of my jars were too soupy. Some were just right. I plan to just pour off that extra juice when I unseal and open the relish for use.

You saw a glimpse of my relish in my Canning Cabinet post, but I'll share that shelf again.
 photo IMG_0382_zpsde6181a0.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!