Thursday, January 17, 2013

Once Upon a Time, I was a

Scrapbooker. Do you think it's true that once a scrapbooker, always a scrapbooker? Is that even a word? My spell check keeps underlining it, so who knows?

Somewhere along the way, I stopped scrapping. I kept taking zillions of photos, but stopped doing anything with them other than looking at them on the computer screen. I rarely even print photos. Terrible, huh? What good is our lifetime of memories if they are only available on a computer screen in folders I have organized and I'm the only one that looks at them? These thoughts don't really hold up because NO ONE looks at the scrapbooks I started years ago. But, that's not the point. I documented those memories and they are in a "I can hold it in my hand and flip through it to share" format.

The thought of "getting caught up" is daunting and not really one that is even achievable in my opinion. But, when I organize things and take photos of events, then the kids come home with stuff from school, I get overwhelmed for a whole other reason. Artwork for example. I don't want to throw away EVERYTHING! I want to keep some memories. I have to remind myself that my children are boys and not apt to be as sentimental about some things as I am. But, I do have a sentimental spirit in my youngest. This is the child who takes in all the toys that Teen no longer wants and wants to keep them in case Teen changes his mind someday! ACK!

All of these thoughts ping around in my head often times giving me feelings of guilt. A few years ago, Project Life layouts caught my eye. What a wonderful way to document your life mostly worry free. I say mostly because it would drive me crazy if I got behind on that, but I am not one to follow schedules or work chronologically anyway, so I'd be destined for doom if I even began that project! Something about the page protectors and the freedom of "mixing it up" appealed to me though. I decided that maybe that would be a good way for me to document our life events and get those every day sort of photos printed. (You know those that you took, but often felt weren't scrap worthy? because something was in them that wasn't just right?) Plus, it would give me an easy way to preserve other things that come into our home. (Like artwork from art class, tickets from the theater, etc.)

Will I follow a schedule? No, not me.

Will I try harder to preserve the memories going beyond just snapping the shutter button on my camera? Yes! I'm going to try!

I've worked on a few things this week. I'll just share one subject matter today so that I'll have blogging material for another day. ;)

Son2 has always been my creative spirit. He enjoys art and getting into creative mode with me. (He also enjoys helping G-Dub in the garage while taking anything apart and putting it back together.) When he came home last year with the note stating that his artwork would be displayed at the mall with others from our school, he was so excited and proud! I was at the mall for Teen's band concert and so I was able to see the artwork on display. After it was all said and done, the artwork came home and went into my "Keep" pile of papers. It got shuffled around to multiple piles and then I finally decided this needs to be preserved. I put it into a sleeve protector and added it to the album. This week, I put the photos into a Project Life page protector with the story to go along with them.



(I need to find a better way to photograph these sheets. The reflection of the page protector makes it hard to get a great photo.)

And inside the book:


Memory Preserved. :)

4 comments:

  1. Taking photos of those protectors is horrible, I've only found taking them outside early in the morning and photographing them there is the best to keep the glare off. I can't wait to see more of your pages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those pages! I agree with most of what you said, I too used to be a scrapbooker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, great to get it done and it looks fun!

    I haven't done anything artsy craftsy in quite a while. I'm in my "I'm not interested in doing it" phase. It'll come back though. It always does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They may be boys, but someday they will think about this stuff and be glad that you kept some of it. Lee just mentioned something the other day that we have stashed somewhere, his mom had kept it from 1st grade.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!