Thursday, November 29, 2012

Chalkboard Christmas Banner

For the past couple of years, I've wanted to make a Christmas banner. I just didn't have it in me to make a large one. I wanted something simple and quick, but I wasn't sure where I'd put a simple and quick one. A few days ago as I walked past the chalkboard in the entry hallway, I decided it might be time to erase the turkey and thankful message. The revelation came to me that a small banner would be perfect for the chalkboard! I decided to use shipping tags and see where that led.

Again, I wanted it to be very simple. I thought sheet music would be a neat backdrop for stamped letters. But, I don't have any sheet music. I remembered that a few years ago (eight to be exact), the girls at the scrapbook forum and I went in together on a Group Buy of pages from a 1897 Sear & Roebuck catalog. I thought back to the days when I was younger and would pour over the JCPenney Christmas Wish Catalog before the holiday, taking note of all the cool things inside. I decided the vintage catalog pages would be perfect for the Christmas banner. I loved those pages, but I had never done anything with them. Amazingly, they've survived three moves and double the number of purgings. I used those as backdrops on the tags then stamped a simple letter to spell out "Merry Christmas."
Photobucket
Photobucket
I thought that just one string of jute wouldn't be as substantial, so I used three to string the tags. I had to knot each area so that the tags would lie flat.
Photobucket
I then contemplated leaving the chalkboard blank behind the banner, but that didn't seem fitting. No quote was fitting either. I had to decide what to put on the chalkboard that I wouldn't mind covering with the banner! A snowy scene seemed to be the perfect answer.
Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. That's awesome, Gwen! I still have my pages, but had forgotten about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, as you already know! Your chalkboard art ain't half bad either, sister ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the way the banner came out, but it's your chalkboard art that makes this go from neat to AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowzers Gwen, this is awesome! The catalog pages are perfect. I just love how this turned out! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you through pinterest, I love everything about this project! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your banner! Do you perhaps remember where you got your tags? I can't find any just like them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used regular shipping tags, copied sheets from a vintage catalog and a Stampin Up punch to make the tags.

      Delete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!