Friday, October 19, 2012

Photo Friday!

Last Friday night, temps dipped down LOW! The overnight temp was 32°F at some point. This brought frost. I told my dad a few weeks ago that the frost was going to get my tomatoes before I did because there were still so many green ones on my vines! Grrr.... I covered the plants to protect them from the frost Friday night. On Saturday when I uncovered them, I decided to go ahead and pull all the tomatoes off the vine and clean up the area in case we had more cold nights before they ripened. We haven't had any more cold nights. But I have a box full of green tomatoes!
Photobucket
The southerner in my whispers thoughts of frying these. Then, that southerner remembers the mess that frying makes and that she doesn't really LIKE to fry stuff. I've decided to leave them. If tomatoes we buy in the store are picked green and delivered to us months later ripened over time, why can't I try it at home? I'll bring them in and put them a counter somewhere. Maybe by December I'll have ripe tomatoes!

2 comments:

  1. I have the same pile of green tomatoes - we too are getting close to freezing at night and I picked mine also on Friday, lol. I think I'm going to try and make green tomato relish, I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to fry things too - because I hate to clean up the mess!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!