Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I'm becoming my parents

If we visit my parents in the summer time, we usually get to enjoy the fruits of their labor in their garden. My dad loves to grow cantaloupe or watermelon. Usually, when we cut open a really good melon, he'll say, "Save those seeds!" Their window sills, outside tables and any susceptible horizontal surface is likely to be occupied by a paper towel drying seeds from something in his garden. There are little baggies in the freezer labeled with whatever seeds contained therein and often a date to depict the year.

Saving those seeds can produce GREAT things as seen in this post from last year. More of Dad's Garden Goodness

The older I get, the more I catch myself doing things my parents have done in the past. One case in point is rolling out dough for biscuits using the Tupperware pastry mat that belonged to my mother which I mentioned a few weeks ago.

This evening as I was preparing dinner, I was scooping out the seeds from the middle of a butternut squash when a little voice in my head said, "I wonder if I saved these seeds and planted them next year, would they produce?" And thus, it hit me again. I'm becoming my parents! I put the tray with the squash in the oven, then proceeded to separate the seeds from the pulp and put them in a strainer to dry a bit. They'll later take a place of honor on a paper towel to dry more.
Photobucket
On becoming my parents, it's not such a bad thing. I am truly blessed to have such wonderful, supportive, loving Christian parents!

Do you do things that make you stop and think, am I becoming my parents?

3 comments:

  1. I catch myself periodically doing things that my mom did--particularly when it comes to cooking. She didn't think I was paying attention but I was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You aren't alone, I find myself doing stuff too and then going "oh gosh, mom and dad would do that!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a teenager I thought my parents were so un-cool. Now I just think if I could be even a little bit like them I'd be pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!