Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Granola

Photobucket
Cinnamon, almonds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, maple syrup, and old fashioned oats are the keys to this homemade granola recipe I found in
The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making by Alana Chernila.


I've made other granola before that I found and pinned on Pinterest. I had just read Alana's recipe last night. This morning, I had an argument with Teen about breakfast.

With Alana's recipe fresh on my brain, I decided it was time to make something for another option. I added a few more spices of nutmeg and ground cloves and replaced the canola oil with coconut oil. My house smelled so good while this was in the oven! Breakfast in the morning will be granola with craisins covered with milk.
Yum, I can imagine it now. Wait, maybe I should just taste test it for an afternoon snack.

Here's my method of madness for putting the granola together using Alana's recipe while making a few substitutes and additions of my own.

Granola
10 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
2 cups raw sliced or roughly chopped almonds
1 cup shredded unsweetene coconut (I used sweetened)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (I used sea salt)
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup canola oil (I used coconut oil)
1 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 tablespoons Vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract ( I didn't have this so left it out)
Optional: 1/4 cup Lyle's Golden Syrup, dried fruit (I didn't have this syrup so left it out as well.)
Fruit - fresh or dried to add later.
My additions to the recipe:
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves


1. Preheat oven to 250. Position both racks in the upper two thirds of oven.
2. Combine the oats, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, coconut, salt and cinnamon in your largest bowl. Stir until contents are uniformly mixed. In a 4-cup liquid measuring cup, whisk together oil, maple syrup, vanilla, almond extract and golden syrup, if using, to make a uniform syrup. Pour this mixture int the bowl. Stir until everything is coated and there are no hidden pockets of syrup or dry ingredients in your bowl.
3. Line 2 18x13 inch jelly roll pans with parchment paper. Spread granola in an even layer on each pan. Put them in the oven and set your time to thirty minutes. Shuffle granola around and switch pans on racks. Set timer for another thirty minutes. Same routine. Set timer on another thirty minutes.
4. At the end of the full 90 minutes of baking, turn off over and leave the granola for up to 6 hours. (I didn't do this as I was using my oven for something else after this.)

Add your raisins, fruits just before eating.

1 comment:

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!