Monday, September 24, 2012

Needing to Let Go

Last month, my neighbor and I got together and had a yard sale. I thought I purged my house before that of unwanted or unnecessary items.
But, this past weekend, I got the urge to dig a bit deeper. I have come to the realization that last month's purge avoided things with sentimental value.

I am lucky to a degree in that I get to go through everything we own every few years and purge. Yay for military life, right?!? Right? Well, some times. At least I don't have an attic full of treasures that have been there for an untouched number of years. I do have "treasures" that get looked at every few years and moved with us anyway.

Yesterday, I dug a Rubbermaid container out from under my bed. Ugh.... I should have taken a photo of the whole container. Some of its contents included paper dolls from my childhood, my ballerina jewelry box full of small photos from classmates from years gone by, MHS Homecoming pins, the leather wallet from Guatemala that my cousin sent to me after her missionary trip there years ago and several other things. One of those "other" things is this little metal tin.
Photobucket
A long forgotten friend gave this to me in the seventh grade. I can't remember what was inside it when she gave it to me. Peppermint? Beads? Preteen jewelry?
I can't remember! What is inside it now has been there for many years since. As I took them out yesterday and looked at them again, I decided this was one
something from the box that I was going to let go. I'm sure there are other things, but those will come another time. One step at a time, ok?

The inside has held these "friendship pins".
Photobucket
Yeah, safety pins with beads on them that we thought looked so totally cool hooked to the shoelaces of our Puma tennis shoes back in 1980-something. Seventh grade.
I'd have to do math to figure out that exact year. But in seventh grade, these were so much more than safety pins wired with beads.
They were our symbol that we were connected to something bigger than ourselves. Some crazy sign of friendship that we thought looked so cool.

Yesterday afternoon, as I sat in my bedroom floor looking at these beaded pins, these "friendship pins" I tried to remember anyone who actually gave me one of these.
Oh sure, there's Kristi who came to mind, but who else? That unanswered question led me to my decision to let these go. Kristi and I are in touch in other ways.
Our friendship isn't attached to these pins. It may still be attached to that half heart "Best Friends" charm on my charm bracelet, but that's another post for another time! These little pins and this little heart shaped calico print tin hold no significance in my life at this point in time.
Photobucket
Do you have a hard time letting go of sentimental things regardless of whether or not you can remember the memory clearly? I do! I hope to overcome that someday!
In the meantime, I'll keep taking these baby steps.


1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful post. I don't think I could part with the friendship pins - they are a sweet reminder of a time that is past. I just love the fact that you still have them - little things are special to you and that makes you who you are!!!

    On another note - I moved my blog to Wordpress, so I wont be at my Blogger Blog anymore. The web address is still http://www.ourhomesteadhaven.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!