Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Preserving tomatoes and other good fresh foods!

One day last week, I stopped at one of the many produce stands nearby.
There's something good about living in the Garden State - lots of fresh local produce at my disposal!
Photobucket
That day, I picked up tomatoes, apples, corn, green beans and bell peppers. That afternoon, I got busy. I snapped the green beans,
then parboiled those and the corn. After the parboiling, I flash froze them, then later bagged them for the freezer.
The green peppers got sliced and flash frozen, then bagged for the freezer as well.
The apples were cored/sliced/peeled using my handy dandy Pampered Chef gadget.
The apples were then tossed into the crockpot overnight and turned into apple butter which was then canned into jars for later.

The tomatoes were mixed with some peppers, onions, garlic, sauce and spices to make homemade marinara.
Photobucket
I realized after my busy afternoon was over that I should have bought MORE of each item to put away more for this winter.
I am going to completely love opening up those jars or bags and having the fresh or home canned foods instead of store-bought items!

On that note, we've really been LOVING the blueberry jam I made a few months ago. My mom made several jars of jelly for us as well using
their own blueberries and blackberries. There is a couple from church here that travels to Mississippi every year to visit family.
I LOVE the fact that when I was telling her I wanted to hide away in her suitcase so I could go see my mama and also pick up the jelly Mom
had made for me that she volunteered to go by and get it for us! One day last week, they dropped in on my parents and picked up my care package!
I am so excited to get that package and to see their safe return from their travels!

3 comments:

  1. I think it is so cool that you know how to do this. I wouldn't even know where to start. Also, the marinara looks really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be too impressed. I pick the easy things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy!!! I wish I could come taste it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!