Wednesday, August 1, 2012

217 Steps to the Top of Old Barney

Interrupting the Maine vacation photos for another post.

Did I mention that my inlaws are here? We've been tooling around and showing them parts of the area. Today's field trip led us to Long Beach Island. We stopped along the way and took a look at our neighbor's fishing boat. Then we made our way over to the point to see Old Barney, the Barnegot Lighthouse.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Have you ever made a teenager mad and then tried to take a photo with him? :)
Photobucket
(FYI - I wasn't the one that made him mad.)
(FYI2 - He wasn't really mad, just frustrated with indecisiveness. Does indecisiveness plague anyone else's family?
"I don't know. I don't care" Someone make a decision already!)


We walked around the area, down the seashore walkway taking in the views.
Roo and Granny strayed off the beaten path looking for rocks and seashells.
Photobucket
Photobucket

I finally declared, "Yes, I want to go to the top. Who's going with me? Devon?"
And, he did. We climbed the 217 steps to the top. At a few points, we had to step into the window alcove to let others pass.
My heart, lungs and thighs really appreciated those little breaks!
We made it though! And boy, did it feel good to step out into the fresh air up top!
I'd begun to feel like a steamed crab inside that hot tower! I was thankful it wasn't a southern Florida lighthouse on the first day of August!
Photobucket
The views were worth the climb to the top!
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
It was a wee bit windy up there. But that's ok. Refer back to the steamed crab comment from earlier. ;)
Photobucket
Back inside, we started our descent. Not before I snuck just a few steps up the other stairs of the restricted area (no further than the sign) to steal snap a photo of the light itself.
Photobucket
217 steps down... going down went a lot faster. My heart, lungs and thighs like the descent much better!
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Cool pics, especially the view from the top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! We climbed a lighthouse in SC on Tybee Island in Aug. and it WAS HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My old Navy Wife friend Nicole is originally from Barnegot NJ. I really do not like those pictures looking straight down Gwen...because it feels like I'M looking straight down and about to fall. My stomach just did somersaults! LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!