Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Polly, the moth

I posted these on Facebook a while back after we discovered her/him on a tree in the front yard. After a Google search, I discovered it is an Antheraea polyphemus moth.
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket
We blew on the wings and she spread them for us to see her true beauty.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
She was as big as a ten year old's hand!
Photobucket
But not quite as big as his {fresh out of the shower, had to come outside and see the big moth} head. ;)
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. What a fascinating creature! The moth AND the boy hehe....those feathery things, antenna? or eyes? I'm picking they are the former :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are antennae.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really cool pictures! You have a lot of interesting creatures in your yard/around the house! All I have is a rabbit that poops in my yard and a bird that builds her nest on my porch (and also poops there haha). Anyway. I don't think I've ever seen a moth that large. Really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! I found a big moth about that size years ago near some berry bushes, it was a different variety, but still neat. It is amazing that they can be that big.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!