Thursday, April 19, 2012

Remembering

Photobucket
In April of 1995, I was twenty-four years old. I was in my second year of teaching in a second grade class room. I was so young and naive, still learning about life and all that life encompassed. I remember that our class was getting ready to go on a field trip to the Earth Day exhibits at the local high school. For whatever reason, we heard about the attack in Oklahoma City and were able to watch some of the news broadcast on the classroom televisions. (I think back on that now and wonder why we were watching it with the children in the room - what impact did that have on them? Did they understand any of it? Were they horrified by it? I have no idea. I didn't understand it myself as no one else did.)
Photobucket
Years later, while we were living in Kansas, Bonnie, a good friend I'd met online and eventually met in person on different occasions came to visit us. We drove down to Oklahoma City to visit another friend from our online scrapbooking community. While we were in Oklahoma City, we visited the site of the Federal Building Bombing. I can't quite describe how being there made me feel. The site of an American turning on America - one of our own harming us in such a catastrophic way. It was a very sobering experience. Explaining the attacks and the memorial to the boys brought the tragedy even closer to home. G-Dub was deployed to Iraq at the time. American pride and worry about our future was prevalent that day in my heart and mind.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Look how little the boys are! I haven't even been able to scrap those photos of that day yet, it still haunts me to remember all those empty chairs representing those who died.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!