Friday, November 18, 2011

'Possum Belly Cabinet


Photobucket
I discovered this tucked away in the corner of one of my favorite browse spots in Kansas. It reminded me of a Hoosier cabinet,
but the store owner called it a " 'possum belly" because of the rounded drawers on the bottom.
Photobucket
I wanted it, but I had no place to put it in our small house in Kansas. So, what did I do? I bought it and put it in storage even
before we moved to Korea and put everything else in storage! LOL Crazy, huh? I did use the bottom of it as a computer desk during the
time period the boys and I were in the house and waiting for it to sell after we sent our shipment of goods to Korea.

I'm finally getting to use it here and I've been at a loss as to how to style it. My first thought was to display my Jadeite in it.
But, I couldn't get it to look the way I wanted to. I like the top and I like the hutch part. I'm still working on the shelves behind the glass.
You may recognize the apples and sugar mold candle holder from my staging of our new table. I borrowed them from the
'possum belly for those photos. It's like everything else in this house - a work in progress.
Photobucket
Speaking of the sugar mold. I love that piece! It was also something I discovered in Kansas that I wanted. But, when I went back to the store to actually purchase one, they were sold out in the store. I left Kansas without one. I couldn't get them out of my mind though, so once I arrived in Korea, I found sugar molds from Mexico on ebay. I used it on the coffee table in Korea. But, it was forever getting knocked over by certain boys. I knew better than to put it on the coffee table here. In its current position, I couldn't use real candles in it.
This morning, I found another perfect solution. LED tealights.
Photobucket
I'm so glad those are so much cheaper than they were a few years ago. Buying six didn't break the bank!

1 comment:

  1. I've seen those sideboards around, but never heard them called 'possum bellies' before. lol

    Love the sugar mold. Those things are expensive! I was actually thinking about having Mark make me one. lol

    I love LED votives and pillars. I bought four boxes of real wax pillar candles at Costco a couple of years back (three per pack), with the intention of giving a couple as gifts. That didn't materialize, so I still have one unopened box in the garage. Oh well.

    What bothers me about the votives is that it's now less expensive to buy new candles than it is to buy batteries. *rolleyes* I bought two three packs at Dollar Tree yesterday, just for the batteries. Sigh. lol

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!