Thursday, August 26, 2010

Thirteen Thoughts for Thursday

#1 Yes, I'm alive and well and ignoring my blog. I come to it every few days. Come, click on the about to get to my dashboard and from there get lost in the updates of other blogs in my following section. Sigh... stinks being easily sidetracked. (counting the intro as one because who knows if I'll actually be able to come up with Thirteen Thoughts for Thursday. ;) )

#2 Summer is drawing to an end for us. School starts next Monday. We find out the class lists and get to meet the teachers tomorrow afternoon. This will be the first time in four years I've put the education of my children in hands of someone else. It's bittersweet. I have a feeling it'll feel like sending a little one off to kindergarten all over again. I have a feeling it'll be an emotional day. For ME, not them. Maybe them. hmmm... I'll keep you posted.

#3 I've been on the lookout for a job. I applied with the school here, but that never went anywhere. That whole ignoring my certification for the past few years caught up with me there. :D That's ok too. I still change my mind daily as to whether I want to be a classroom teacher again. Funny how that used to be a yearly decision for me. Lately, it's been daily. I have applied to substitute at the school. Maybe being back in the environment on an irregular basis will help me decide once and for all.

#4 Resumes. Speaking of jobs. I've worked on my resume or resumes in the past month. What a headache! Hmmph... ever think about how hard it is to write a resume when you haven't officially worked anywhere in the past thirteen years? It's interesting. I've become quite fluent in profiling myself, including volunteer work and my home schooling time. ;)

#5 Applications and resumes - background checks and fingerprints. I'm pretty boring, so all that stuff came back on the positive side. I told someone recently that sometimes it's boring being a goodie two shoes. lol

#6 Squash. One of the two summer veggies I never really liked until a few years ago was squash. I think it all had to do with how I was introduced to the concept of eggplant and squash as a child and young adult. Remember I'm from the south, so that sort of thing was sliced, dipped in a combo of cornmeal and flour, then fried to a crispy golden brown in hot oil. I tried my mom's and mil's versions this summer while we were home. Blah... (sorry Mom and Mil) but blah! All you could taste was the salt and the fried crust. There was no sense of the vegetable anywhere in there. I've been roasting squash or stir-frying it with onions and seasonings. Yum. So much better.

#7 Eggplant was the second one. Oh sure, it's a beautiful shade of purple, but that's about all I used to like about it. See above about the fried version I'd always known. ;) Recently, I got brave and decided to try my hand at eggplant Parmesan. Oh. Now, there's a change... It was good. Even G-Dub liked it. Roo did until I told him what it was. LOL He's a typical kiddo. I bought another eggplant this week with plans to make this. Eggplant Salad Toasts I hope they are as good as they look in her photos.

#8 Speaking of her photos. Oh.my.goodness. Love that blog and her food photos. Makes me tummy growl browsing there.

#9 We are still liking Korea. Still have at least another year here, so we might as well like it, huh? Summer hasn't been that hot here which has been nice. Oh sure, it's been warm and it's as humid as living in the southern United States. But, humidity... I'm used to it. :)

#10 Hmmm, what else? I'm running out of things to say. Maybe I won't make it to thirteen. :/ How about some random thoughts?

#11 Did I tell you about my barstools? I bought them at an antique store here in Korea. Love them. We have a counterspace/bar area that protrudes from the kitchen (above the sink) and it was a perfect spot for having a snack or sitting to eat lunch rather than at the main table. I'll share a pic and more pics about that trip in another blog post.

#12 In about a month, my "oldest baby" will be a teenager. How did that happen?

#13 I haven't touched my big camera in forever. I need to get it out and use it. With it being so humid, my lenses just fog over. I need to overcome and shoot something.

Ok, I made it. I bet you're glad. ;)

5 comments:

  1. I never used to like squash either, but now I love it. And we never fried it here in Yankee-land ... I probably would have liked that! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't realised you were job-
    thinking/job-looking, Gwen. Nor that the boys were going back to school. Hope all goes well with both situations...I often think of sending the kids to school but never get any further than thinking about it. I think I've been h/s too long to get my head around it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AM glad you made it to 13!! I've been missing your bloggings! :) I want to see pics of your barstools. I've been looking for some for the past year so I'm a little jealous, but happy for you ;) Like you I didn't really care for squash myself until I was about 22. I really like it grilled. I've never had eggplant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll we can cry on each other's shoulders on the first day of school or I can have you over and put you to work on helping me unpack boxes (that'll help keep your mind off it). I am sure I will be a wreck when I send my little guy off to kindergarten in a week! But at least I can get back to the gym!! And hey if you are ever feeling like a camera field trip, I'd love to go walking around shooting with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I do know how hard that resume is. lol And they're done so differently now. Most companies don't want your entire work history, only those jobs that pertain to the position you're applying for.

    Why did you decide to send the boys back to public school? It's funny, of her five boys, the only one that Mark's sister home schooled was her youngest. She started in about fifth grade and went through high school. I've heard there are some disadvantages to that, but in this day and age who's to really say.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!