Saturday, July 17, 2010

Origami in Tokyo

Origami (折り紙?, from ori meaning "folding", and kami meaning "paper") is the traditional Japanese folk art of paper folding, which started in the 17th century AD and was popularized in the mid-1900s. It has since then evolved into a modern art form. The goal of this art is to transform a flat sheet of material into a finished sculpture through folding and sculpting techniques, and as such the use of cuts or glue are not considered to be origami. - taken from Wikipedia

When we flew home to the states last month, we had a layover in Tokyo of about three hours. That gave us enough time to explore the airport, grab some lunch and take a quick nap before boarding the plane to Salt Lake City.

During our exploration of the airport, we found a store specializing in Origami papers and instruction books. All I can say about their displays is "WOW!" I thought of some of you and knew you'd be impressed, so I took photos. :)

First display and closeups follow:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
See how the pieces compared in size to a preteen boy? Can you imagine the attention to
detail and how hard it might be to fold something so small?
Photobucket
More that caught our eyes. The store was full of displays. Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
**********
Photobucket
Photobucket
And outside the store:
Photobucket
Again, compared to the boys:
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. WOW! What an AMAZING display!

    I was given an origami book when I was about 10. I recall trying out some of the more simple designs...but even those were fiddley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That truly is a WOW! Thanks for sharing, my nephew (who is 1/2 Japanese) makes some amazing origami cranes. I'll have to share your pics with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you imagine all the hours of time that took? Holy cow.

    What a sight it must have been in person (because the pictures are pretty amazing).

    I've never been good at paper folding. I've tried to teach myself from books, I've even had people show me in person. It's just not something I'm particularly good at. I get too irritated when a fold goes bad, being the recovering perfectionist that I am. lol

    As for the photo blog...I started it just a little while back with the intention of posting daily...ha! That lasted for about a week. lol

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!