Wednesday, May 12, 2010

As promised

A few weeks ago, I showed you the pearl market where we shopped during our trip to the Philippines. I promised to show you what I bought during that trip. I'm making good on my promise with this post. :)

I put to use my friend's borrowed Nikon equipment and played with his macro lens. Ah, love the macro lens! Could see a lot of use out of one of those in my camera stash.

I purchased these twisted seed pearls with intertwined clear beads. I thought they were so pretty and somewhat elegant. I bought the matching bracelet as well.
Photobucket
Photobucket
I wore them to a formal dinner we attended in March. :)
Photobucket
Sorry about that horrible pic, taken off of Facebook. Can you see the pearls?

And then, there are these colorful pearls. It's a long strand that technically isn't supposed to be doubled, but I've doubled it when I've worn it. Rebel, I am.
Photobucket
Photobucket
And another long strand. These are supposed to be doubled or so said the Filipino lady who sold them to me.
Photobucket
Our moms received a strand of these for their birthdays in April.

None of these are your perfectly round cultured pearl - the "normal" that you think of when you think of pearls. I think that's one of the reasons I love them so much. I also love that they have a story - you know me and things with stories. ;)

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the pearls in the first picture, with the little beads intermixed. So beautiful!! If you go back you buy me some ;) I paypal you the $$!

    A good story is what really makes something meaningful. Otherwise they'd just be some regular ol' pearls...but they're different AND from the Philippines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both types of pearls, but I really like the irregularity of freshwater. They have more character.

    That picture of you and Gary is wonderful. You look fantastic Gwen!

    Yep, I have two lenses on my wishlist (and I'm halfway saved up to one). A macro, and a telephoto with stabilization.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty, Gwen...your comment on "normal-shaped" pearls made me giggle...if we are to compare ourselves to a pearl then I'm NOT a "normal" pearl...I am quite oddly "shaped" actually..LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pearls are very pretty!

    I'm loving following your blog and reading about your adventures in Korea.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!