Sunday, February 14, 2010

Thoughts on blog reading....

As I mentioned a few days ago, I add to my list of blogs weekly. I've gotten quite a list going in my "Blogs I follow". Maybe it's not as many as other people, but it's a lot for me (imho). And I don't even have all the ones from my favorites folder on the desktop added. Those are mostly lost anyway with the motherboard crash. :(

A few years ago, when I'd heard others talk about Google Reader, I thought I needed to check it out. I did. I hated it. Absolutely hated it. I can't pinpoint why I hated it and still hate it, but it just didn't seem convenient to me for some reasons. So, at the time, I went without reading some of my favorite blogs for a while. That isn't necessarily a bad thing as I can spend too much time reading blogs. :( I just stuck with the convenient list of my peeps' blogs on the sidebar of my own blog. But, I wasn't that good at clicking on them regularly to see if they'd been updated.

Then, one day, I changed my blog layout to the current layout and did away with the side bars, thus doing away with my list of blogs linked here. Hmmmph... wasn't sure I liked that. But, as I was fishing around more in my blogger dashboard, I paid more attention to the "Reading List" options. I decided to see what it was all about and check it out. That was one of the best decisions I've made in the world of blogging. I love my daily blog updates. I love Firefox and the way I have it set up. If the updated blog looks interesting, I click it and it opens in a new tab so I can read the entire entry and comment if I so choose. Easy peasy, life made easy by Blogger.

I know some of you may already use this option and think I'm just repeating the obvious, but I was just thinking about it as I was checking for Sunday morning updates here late Sunday evening my time. (I'm Future Girl, dontcha know? ;) ) I was just thinking how novel it is and how easy it makes blog reading. And how addictive it makes blog reading. LOL It's also probably the main reason I don't blog as much. I go into my dashboard with intentions to click "New Post" and instead, scroll down just to check and see if there's anything new out there. LOL Then I get distracted reading and forget what I was going to blog about. OR I look at the time and realize I've spent too much time here, so I promise I'll come back later and blog, but mostly forget to do that. LOL

How do you read your favorite blogs? What "system" works for you?

4 comments:

  1. I still have my blogs set up with side bars, and that works best for me.

    As I mentioned in the other post, I just keep tabs by having a list on the side. I allow an icon and title so I know who updates and when. If I ever go single layout like you have, I'm not sure how I'll work it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have too many on my side bar also but I try to read two an evening, if I can.. I'm new to 'blogland' and am enjoying it alot.. need to find the way to do a few things, like links etc... I also want to create a new blog soon.. one where my words are not touching the side bar design.. so many things,, but, I'm totally in love with blogging...
    If no 'side bars' make you happy.. go for it!

    http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use firefox too, but I downloaded the Sage reader widget. I LOVE that widget. I don't get distracted when I'm going to post something...

    The Sage symbol simply shows up in my toolbar (as a green sage leaf). When I want to see if any of the 200 blogs I have "bookmarked" have updated, I simply click on the leaf, then on the "check feeds" button. It shows all the blogs, and bold-texts the updated blogs. When you click on an updated blog, it will show which posts are new (with the bold text). You can read from the reader, or click through to the blog itself. no additional tabs to open, no "wondering" if blogs have updated...I tried the google reader too, and didn't like it. So far, I've liked this the best. And when you find a blog you like, you don't have to "follow" it in order to get updates (there are some blogs I don't want people to know I'm following them, if that makes sense - yeah, kind of stalkerish, I guess). You simply open sage, click on the magnifying glass to check for any feeds that are available. Most times, there's an Atom or RSS feed available. Makes life pretty simple, as a blog addict!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too funny - to "hate" google reader is a such a strong sentiment, lol. I'm not exactly sure why you think the blogger reading list is different, but whatever works for you *wink* The reading list seems pretty much the same the same as my google reader. But I prefer that google reader shows how many new posts are in each of my blogs, so I can pick/choose which blogs I want to read if I don't have time to read them all. You can also click on the blog and go to it directly as well from google reader.

    I'll have to check out that Sage, it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!