Friday, August 28, 2009

Storing up for winter... or

Stealing from the squirrels...

or just decorating for fall?
Photobucket
A few weeks ago, I found this outdoor living candle holder/thingamajig on sale at Walmart for $10. I wasn't sure what the original price had been, but on the size smaller than this, the original price was $20 (or more, I can't remember exactly...) I bought it not because I needed it, but as we sometimes seem to do - because I liked it. Did I have a clue what I was going to do with it? Nope. But, I liked it and that was all that seemed to matter at that moment in time.

I brought it home and into the house where it didn't seem to fit. Then I took it out and put it on the table on the patio. It was from the Outdoor Living department after-all. ;) I popped a candle into it and called it good. But, there's one thing I hadn't really paid that much attention to. It's still technically summer and that table can get a heaping helping of hot sunlight in the middle of the day. Can you guess what happened to my candle? It started to melt so I had to pull it.

I was sitting out there this afternoon looking at my empty thingamajig and wondering just what I could put in it. Five minutes later, R came from the backyard and dumped a handful of acorns onto the patio. *lightbulb moment* We went around and gathered this heaping helping of acorns.
Photobucket
I like how it looks and probably won't have to worry about the acorns melting! I was a little worried about them molding since some are still green. So, after snapping the photo, I opened the door and let them all fall out. I'll leave them out on the table for a day or so to dry and then replace them.

I will have to admit that I had a few pangs of guilt while picking the acorns to fill the holder. I thought about the squirrels and felt like we were stealing from them! I decided that when I'm finished with the acorns as decoration, I'll put them back out for the squirrels and maybe my guilt will go away.

6 comments:

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!