Saturday, April 4, 2009

Shh, don't tell DH

that I bought another old iron skillet today. ;)

When we were home during Christmas, my dad gave me an old cast iron dutch oven. I have wanted one of those forever. No, I really didn't know what I'd do with it or what I'd use it to cook, but I knew I wanted one! And a free one? How could I have passed that up? I brought it home and sat it down on the patio table. It sat there until a few weeks ago when I decided to tackle it. And tackle it I did! I plopped that baby into my oven and turned it on self clean to see what would happen. I thought I had done it right - scrub the rust off, clean it really well, season it for a few hours on a low heat in the oven. The first time I used it to make a roast, it was all fine and good until I went to wash it and realized it was rusty. HUH? What had I done wrong? So, I tried cleaning it again and kept getting black residue on my towels. Not a good thing. I used every sort of concoction to get the black out - tomato soup infused water boiling really high and fast. Vinegar and water. Baking soda and water. Still, every time I washed it, black residue came off on my towel. Ugh. DH questioned my attempts and questioned how much time and energy (and money!) I was putting into that "stupid pot" (his words exactly) Finally, I almost gave up, but got on the computer and did a google search for black residue in cast iron skillets. Guess what I learned? I learned that seasoning them at 250-300 degrees isn't enough to give it a good strong and proper seasoning. I learned that seasoning a cast iron skillet at 450 degrees for at least an hour was the way to go. So, that's what I did. Three times. (Third time is a charm, remember? ;) ) My cast iron dutch oven looks fabulous and cooks great too! Now I need to find recipes to use it with.

Fast forward to today when I walked ds to a birthday party and then continued on my way downtown to go junking. In one of my favorite junk stores, I found a cast iron round griddle - *see here* I could not resist it even though there was rust on the back. So, my goal for this next week is to clean her up and season her properly so she can be used for pancakes!

*Note to self - don't walk to go junking and then buy a heavy iron pan to have to carry home on your return walk. Though it did make for a great weight, I just swapped hands on the route home. ;)

1 comment:

  1. If I had an old dutch oven, I'd probably use it for a plant instead of cooking. LOL But you know me. :)

    Hey, you're right...I'm sure it did make a good weight! ha!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!