Monday, March 16, 2009

The rumble of helicopters



I heard someone say recently that one of the locals around post had complained about the noise of the helicopters flying. I started thinking about that and thought how WELCOME the sound of those rotors turning really sounds to those of us who were without our loved ones and their aircraft for those fifteen months.

The boys and I were out walking/riding bikes today on our way to the library and we spotted a Chinook in the air. We saw it before we heard it which is rather unusual as loud as those babies really are. But when the sound did come to my ears, I thought about how nice it is to have our guys back and the buzz of the choppers in the air again - no matter how loud they are! :)

The airfield out on post doesn't look so lonely and barren as it is filled with all sorts of aircraft. And one of the greatest things about it all is that they ALL came back safe and sound from Riley.

What a blessing!

8 comments:

  1. They are loud. We have them fly over occasionally, but I've gotten used to it, more or less. lol

    I always laugh about people who complain about things that they knew would be there before they moved in (does that make sense?). There have been several instances here of complaints about various things, from the smell of onions near onion farms (from those who moved in to surrounding developments), to the smell of cattle in more rural areas. If you don't want to deal with those things, then don't move to where they are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know. There was a man who built this nice apartment complex right off the interstate and in the flight path of from the runway. When the guys got back, that man was told not to even bother with any complaints. LOL He knew when he threw those apartments up that noise would be an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that sound! And especially glad that they are on US soil and not overseas! I would love to see one close up! Thanks for sharing the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see what the airfield looks like now that the work is done and the CAB is back...I just missed the biggest part of it all, what with my move coming just as they came back. Never did get up to the top of the hill with the gun up there and take pictures...darn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I laughed every time I drove by that apartment complex thinking, "WHO is gonna live there? Seriously?" Being a: near the highway (and it is SO close!) and b: near the flight path of the airfield...DUH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rarely see them. I have no idea how loud they are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in the Saguenay region of Quebec 13 years ago when a flood completely wiped out all the roads and bridges out of town. The only way the Red Cross could get in to help out was by military helicopter so I think of that noise as a positive sound!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree! The Apache's airspace is over our house and it's comforting to hear them.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!