Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Isn't it weird

Sometime last month, we were travelling on the interstate to the big city. We passed this eighteen wheeler which had the name "Tuckett Truck Lines" on it. I turned to dh and asked him if he remembered a girl from our school by the name of T. Puckett. At first, he didn't remember her, but the more I talked about her, a memory emerged. She was one of the smartest people in our class, but life happened and at some point, she dropped out of school right before we reached high school. I'd forgotten all about her, but something about that truck jogged my memory. We weren't close friends or anything like that, but we grew up together. Our class only had about forty/fifty people in it. We went to a small school, so everybody knew everybody.

Fast forward to the week that we travelled "home" after Christmas. DH and I took a night off for ourselves. We left one child with my parents and one with his parents and said don't worry about us, we'll be back tomorrow. We went to a local restaurant to enjoy a nice dinner. When we went in and left our name with the hostess, we were told the wait would be at least thirty minutes. We decided to just sit down at the bar while we waited on our table. As soon as we sat down, dh leaned over to me and asked, "Isn't that girl at the corner of the bar the same one we were just talking about a few weeks ago?" I turned my head to look and there she was!

What are the odds of that happening? It truly had not seen, heard or even thought of her since high school, yet there she was. So weird. She got up and left at some point, but I could tell she was coming back, so I waited for her. As she walked back by, I called out her name and she turned to me, called me by my full name (not the shortened one I've gone by all my life, but my full name) and hugged me! We sat there talking for a few minutes, catching up on the who's and what's of the last twenty five years and comparing photos of our children. And, then the reunion was over as our buzzer light up letting us know our table was ready.

That whole incident left me humming the Bon Jovi song, "Who Says You Can't Go Home?" LOL Have you ever had anything like that happen to you?

3 comments:

  1. I love it when that happens!!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats cool. It is truely a "small world" isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool story! Once when I was at the airport in NYC I ended up sharing a cab with people from my flight ... turned out he was a childhood neighbor, he lived 3 houses away! He was my brother's age, (about 7 years older), so we weren't exactly friends. But it was such an odd place to meet up again! LOL

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!