Saturday, December 20, 2008

Baking Cookies


It's that time of year isn't it? Have you ever wondered why it's ok in December to bake so many different kinds of cookies, but yet all throughout the year, you only bake one batch at a time? LOL I've been good this year, I haven't gone overboard. The last batch we baked was because of a Scout function, so I had an excuse. ;)

What are some of your favorite cookies to bake during the holidays? My old standby is your basic chocolate chip cookie, but that's rather boring since I bake those throughout the year. I made snickerdoodles the other night for the scout thing and those were good! They disappeared quickly - even the ones that were left at home have disappeared.

One cookie that I love to bake every Christmas season is Gingersnaps. There's just something about the molasses and spice combination that makes this a Christmas cookie.

I decided while I was making these the other day to share them with you, Pioneer Woman style, so, you get to see the recipe and photos of the process. ;) I'm no Ree, but hey, endure me today, ok? LOL

Recipe:
Gingersnaps
2 c. all purpose flour (I usually just use self rising flour and skip the added stuff ;) )
2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. molasses
1 TBsp ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 c. shortening (or softened butter)
1 egg

Mix all the dry ingredients. Cream shortening and sugar in a separate bowl. Beat in egg and molasses and then add the dry mixture. That's all the above photo.

Now, form into balls 1 inch in diameter. I never measure to make sure they are one inch in diameter. Do people really do that? Roll in granulated sugar.

Place on ungreased cookie sheet. I used to always use my Pampered Chef baking stone for my cookies. But then, I discovered these regular baking sheets from Sam's suit the cookie baking need just fine - plus you can get more done on the larger sheet!

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.

I like to sprinkle them with just a pinch more of sugar when they are straight out of the oven and still warm to accept the sugar.

Yield for the recipe is about 4 dozen dependant upon whether or not you have perfectly sized one inch balls to start. :)

I'm not sure if I'm finished in the cookie baking department of December or not. There are still some favorites on my list I haven't gotten to yet. Wedding cake cookies, gingerbread men, MORE snickerdoodles and the list goes on and is added to when I pick up a recent magazine. lol

4 comments:

  1. Yum, those look good. I love gingersnap! I don't think of chocolate chips as a Christmas cookie, it should be a cookie that is only made at Christmastime *wink*. For me that is Spritz. And Fattigaman, we made those last weekend (hmmm, maybe I should do a blog entry on that, heheheh)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now see, the cookies I make come on a piece of cardboard precut, where all I have to do is pull them apart. :b

    My MIL makes AWESOME cookies for c-mas. She's big into gingersnaps too.

    A former coworker made cookies every year and passed them out to the entire floor. She had one with crushed up peppermints in it..that was my FAVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gave me that Gingerbread recipe a while back, and I've made it a time or two. They're really good.

    My most tradional and favorite holiday cookie - Sandies (also known as snowballs, Mexican/Italian Wedding cookies). I use my mothers recipe.

    I also usually make oatmeal raisin cranberry cookies (which have become a regular day favorite), and chocolate chip ice box cookies, but this year I just haven't been in to it so only made Sandies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I'll have to try that recipe! Oh Wait...I can't!...not until next Cristmas...LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!