Monday, November 17, 2008

Soup on a cold day

I'm not the biggest magazine person in the world. Sure, every now and then, I pick one up that interests me in the checkout line at the grocery. So, I will admit to never paying much attention to Every Day with Rachel Ray. I knew it was out there, but I haven't ever bought one. Then, Friday as my friend and I were sitting and chatting while the boys were doing their swim lessons, she handed me her newest copy of the EDWRR mag. I flipped through it and came upon a recipe for soup. Creamy Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup. Ummmm...... that sounded good. So, I grabbed my notepad and scribbled down the recipe. This afternoon after a rather stressful morning and midday, I decided today was the day for this soup. Oh my goodness....... so good! I adapted it for myself because no matter how hard I try, I can never follow a recipe all the way through step for step.

Doesn't this look yummy? Trust me, it was. ;)
Photobucket


I decided to come back and post the recipe and my changes. Reed can't stand mushrooms, so he picked them out of his bowl of soup. But the soup still has a distinct mushroom flavor because you use pureed mushrooms in it. So, if you can tolerate the mushroom flavor, but not the texture, then just leave out the second set of shrooms and see where that leads you. ;) I can't promise this is exact from the mag because my scribbles may not have lead to exact.

Creamy Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup from Nov. 2008 or maybe it was Dec. 2008 Every Day with Rachel Ray Mag
1 oz dried mushrooms
6 cups chicken broth
3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
6 carrots coarsely chopped
1 onion coarsely chopped
2 TBS fresh sage chopped
Salt/Pepper
1 6oz box long grain, wild rice
3/4 pounds white mushrooms
1 skinless chicken breast
1/2 cup heavy cream
* Soak the dried mushrooms in 1 cup broth until rehydrated. Use food processor to puree. (I didn't have dried mushrooms, so I just used canned shrooms that I had on hand and pureed those. ;) )
* Heat 3 TBSP evoo in skillet, add carrots, onion and sage to saute (I didn't have fresh sage, so just added carrots and onions) Add pureed mushrooms and cook one minute, adding salt and pepper
* Add 5 cups broth, rice mixture, sliced mushrooms to stock pot and boil. Add chicken breast, lower eat, simmer until rice is tender and chicken breast is cooked. Remove chicken breast and shred into pieces, add back to soup mixture. Stir in cream, season with salt and pepper. (I already had a cooked chicken breast in my fridge that was extra from the quesadillas we had the other night so I just shredded and used it instead of cooking one along with my rice.)

5 comments:

  1. OH..that looks just too good..the rice looks delicious!
    Do you deliver?
    -sandy toes

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look good. Except I don't do mushrooms (that's the only non-meat item I won't eat). But I bet it would be just as tasty without them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nix the mushrooms and with you all the way, Gwen! :) I love a good bowl of soup, always looking for a good recipe. I wonder if this would be good without the fungus?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I just noticed the chicken. I don't want that either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my that looks delish!!! If I could just sell the fam on the values of soup! LOL

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!