Monday, October 27, 2008

Carving pumpkins

Photobucket

This afternoon, we set out to carve our pumpkins. Finally, my children are old enough to really want to do it and not just leave me to the entire process. Oh, yeah, I still did almost all of the work, but they were eager to help and didn't totally abandon me in the process. I think they knew better. LOL D chose a spider for his pumpkin and R chose some weird mask like thing. He has visions of painting it black on one side and white on the other and it being like TwoFace from Batman. Not quite sure we'll get to that, but the idea was a cool one. It was fun, we acted silly and snapped a few photos. D snapped these while we were working. He took over the camera after he was astounded by the fact I even picked it up with pumpkin guts all over my hands. lol He knows how serious and anal I am about cameras. *guilty*

R decided no way was he trying the "pumpkin poop" - look at his tongue hanging out as a sign of disgust! He's a funny boy!
Photobucket

We have the pumpkin seeds drying on paper towels so we can roast them tomorrow for a snack. Do you do this? I never did it as a child and only ever heard of roasting your own pumpkin seeds when I started student teaching. Hmmmm, novel idea. The boys think it's cool and I love the seeds, so we've made it our own tradition.

Side note: After almost two weeks of this crazy headache, I went to the doctor and got some meds. Hopefully now, the headache will go away officially! Thank you Dr. S for the meds! :) Maybe they'll help my ears to stop ringing after being outside today in the coolness and wind.

4 comments:

  1. I tried roasting them once and they didn't come out well at all.

    Where are the pics of the final outcome?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! We LOVE roasting pumpkin seeds! I never let them dry first though..I wash them, and heavily salt them, and then pop them in the oven! I know, the salt part probably negates any healthful coponent, but it makes them so yummy. I just had a really sinful thought...what if we chocoalte coated them after salting and roasting?? {DROOL}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're feeling better, Gwen!

    Yes, chocolate covered pumpkin seeds, that sounds like a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool pumpkins. We didn't do that this year. In fact, I didn't decorate at all. I was really bummed all month and didn't feel like it. I usually do alot of decorating since DS's birthday is on Halloween.
    I don't like roasted pumpkin seeds.
    Do you go to Dr Short? I loved her! I wish she lived here!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!