Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Who knew?

When we moved here two years ago, there were two trees inside the fence in the backyard. Both looked like they'd seen better days. DH eventually pushed one over, it was so rotten and dead. The other looked to me to be a Bradford pear. I encouraged him to cut it because it had been broken at some point and trimmed to an ugly shape. But, he wouldn't do it so I haven't paid much more attention to that tree. A week or so ago, Devon came in the house bringing me a pear. I asked him where on earth he got that and he said from the tree in the backyard. My stupid question of that day was, "What tree in the backyard?" (There's only one back there. *rolleyes*) So, it was then that I realized that is NOT a Bradford pear, but a regular pear. It didn't bear pears last year, so I had no idea.

So, for the past few days, we've been enjoying fresh pears from THE tree in the backyard.

Photobucket
Look at the beautiful clear sky we have today! It's a perfect almost fall day!
Photobucket
And because the sun is so bright and beautiful, I decided to try a sun flare photo. :) Too bad there wasn't a pear to photograph on that side of the tree.
Photobucket

We, humans, aren't the only ones enjoying the pears. I ran over one yesterday and made a squashed pear salad for the honey bees.
Photobucket
Look at the bee in flight in this one.
Photobucket

And on a totally different note, take a look at my dahlia that is blooming in the side flowerbed. It's almost neon yellow! The boys think it looks like one of those squishy balls. I agree!
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Gwen, you rock sistah. Those pics are AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How yummy to have a fruiting peartree in your own back yard! I'm so glad you are sharing them with the bees. We have a purple squishy thing lying around the house that looks just like the dahlia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just moved in this house a year ago and found out we had pears, too! I posted on "pear crisp" just a couple of days ago! It's fun to have fresh fruit to pick in your yard!

    -Sandy Toes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't pears from your own tree fabulous?

    I picked ours a few weeks ago before they fell to the ground, wrapped them in newspaper and waited for them to ripen. I canned 14 pints earlier this week. I could do more, but two people can only eat so many.

    Your comment about the bees reminds me that I have to get out there and pick the fallen pears up too. Always stuff to do.

    I took bee photos on Tuesday...We must be on the same wave length lately....lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I wish we had a pear tree!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!