Sunday, September 28, 2008

If an apple a day

keeps the doctor away, I think we'll be good for quite some time. What do you think?
Photobucket


Kim's mil blessed us at the beginning of the month with a large quantity of apples. And then last week, my friend, Margo, and I went with the kids to pick MORE apples. This is what we came home with that day. What were we thinking?

Photobucket

Thankfully, my mom arrived Friday and has helped me with some of the apple duties. Ack..... though the one tub is almost empty, we still have the other tub to deal with this week. And thankfully, I have a Pampered Chef Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer - love that little toy!

In the meantime, we've been making applesauce and freezing that for this winter. Yum...
Photobucket


And then there is the first batch of apple jelly. Isn't it pretty in the jars? Love that color!
Photobucket


I've made up baggies of apple pie filling for warm and tasty apple pies this winter.
Photobucket


And, I even threw some in the dehydrator for something later on.
Photobucket


And the most fun and delish part? Of course, caramel apples.
Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


I realized while making these that these are the first homemade caramel apples my children have ever done. Usually, we just cheat and buy Happy Apples from the grocerer every fall. *ooops* They aren't the prettiest - see the bubbles on the side?

Photobucket


But, I know they'll taste delish! As soon as I finish this blog post, I'm going to check!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of apples! Save some to make baked apples! I love those, though I've never made any myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like these pictures!! Very fall-ish! :) Makes me wanna go to the orchard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY! Carmel apples are my favorite.. then the apple sauce! Boy. you have ALOT of apples! LOL
    They look really good! Glad you are using them! I'm sure Christa is glad to have them out of her hair.. she can not let them go to waste! She would do all that herself!
    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could come in to that many apples! lol You've been doing a lot with them. The jelly is so pretty. Apple Jelly is one thing I've never made (everything else, just never apple), but have been talking about this year. My mother used to make it all the time.

    I've never made apple filling to freeze either. I have canned apple slices for the same purpose though.

    It's not quite time for apples here yet, but almost. In the meantime I've been working on tomatoes (freezing fresh soup, making salsa).

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW that apple butter looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!