Saturday, August 2, 2008

Cowboys, dirt and rodeos

We went to the rodeo last night. Lots of fun, some edge of your seat sort of stuff - like when the guy was HURLED from the bull and he just lay there not moving for - EVER - freaking everyone in the crowd out. Finally, he was able to get up and walk away, but it was scary in the meantime.

I had mixed emotions about my photos I was able to capture. I really wish I could have gotten more of the action shots, but I couldn't get passed a big blur in so many of them - the bull riding - things were just too fast and it was dark and I was in the stands and lots of excuses.

But, I did get these and they tell a great story. I think I watched most of the rodeo through the viewfinder of my camera anyway. They could be cropped a bit more, but I'm lazy.

It was steer wrestling. The cowboy jumps from his horse to not rope, but wrestle the steer to the ground? Some PITA people say it's cruelty to animals, but Wikipedia says there's danger in it for the cowboys too. Here's the proof - pictures really are worth a thousand words. ;)

He's all ready, waiting in the gate for the steer to be let loose from the gate.
Photobucket

There they go!
Photobucket

Moving in for the catch and wrestle. This is sort of like sky diving - why jump off a perfectly good horse to tackle a steer with horns like that? It's like why jump out of a perfectly good airplane? LOL
Photobucket

Atta boy, cowboy, get him down!
Photobucket

He's down! Good job! But look at Cowboy's hand on his mouth and steer's expression as if to say, "Well, sorry Buddy, but you deserved what you got."
Photobucket

And what exactly did he get?
Photobucket

Well, he got his tooth knocked out! The steer's horn hit him just in the right spot and knocked his tooth out of his mouth!
Photobucket

Lots of guys came to help look, but they never found it! The announcer said he probably wouldn't have wanted to put it back in his mouth anyway considering that wasn't all dirt in that arena. Poor guy. He got a good score for his time but it cost him a tooth.
Photobucket

And the cowboys were wearing Pink because it was Tough Enough to Wear Pink in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Night at the Rodeo.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you explained all the pink shirts... LOL

    Poor guy and his tooth. But he wants to be in a rodeo.......

    Looks like you all had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum cowboys..... thanks for all the eye candy, there is just something about a cowboy eh??? Especially in a crisp pink shirt.


    Poor guy, but as the announcer said I doubt he would want that back in his mouth.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!