Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I love this...


I'm not sure how old the pitcher is or the story behind it. I'm not even sure how I convinced my mother to give it to me. I just know I have it and I love it.

The pitcher belonged to my maternal grandmother. She passed away when I was six years old. I don't remember that much about her, but I remember her making sweet tea and the aroma in her kitchen when she made it. And I don't really remember her specifically using this for her sweet tea, but I imagine that she did. There wasn't a lot of money or not many "things", so I'm pretty sure this was the pitcher she used daily. Some might say that I shouldn't use it as it's an antique and has her memory in it. Maybe I should put it up some place safe to preserve it. But, the only time I use it is when I make sweet tea. Each time I do, I am immersed in the few memories I have of her. I may not even be thinking of her when I am in the motions of making the tea, but that first sip of tea floods my mind with her memory.

And that's the reason why I continue to use the pitcher. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Things are meant to be used. And I'm at that point in life where if it's in my house it's going to be. Some might disagree with that, but I don't have the room for too much excess, nor do I want it.

    I have very few things that belonged to my mother but I use them - and when I do I feel closer to her. And like with your grandmother's pitcher they bring back memories. That's an important part of things...using them, holding them, remembering...

    I believe my mother would want me to use her things, and your grandmother would want you to use her pitcher (and probably be thrilled that you are).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Carole. Things are meant to be used. I love your pitcher! I bet it looks so pretty with tea in it. :)

    I am not getting your new posts via my bloglines anymore. Must be because you deleted and redid your blog! Hopefully I can fix that.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave one to let me know you were here!